UN Eritrea expert urges probe of refugee camp attack in Ethiopia

The UN’s exceptional rapporteur on Eritrea on Wednesday requested a quick, autonomous examination concerning claims that the nation’s soldiers assaulted evacuee camps in adjoining Ethiopia and stole Eritrean shelter searchers. 

Answering to the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva, Mohamed Abdelsalam Babiker said he was worried for a large number of Eritreans who were in two camps in Ethiopia’s northern Tigray locale – presently purportedly obliterated by Eritrean and Ethiopian soldiers. 

There were 96,000 Eritrean displaced people living in four camps in Tigray before Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed dispatched military tasks against heads of the area’s decision party toward the beginning of November. 

Babiker said two of the camps, Hitsats and Shimelba, which facilitated in excess of 25,000 Eritrean evacuees, “were supposedly obliterated in assaults did by Eritrean and Ethiopian soldiers” among November and January. 

He said he had gotten direct records of claims of “extra-legal killings, directed kidnappings and constrained return of Eritrean evacuees and shelter searchers to Eritrea, supposedly by Eritrean powers”. 

“I demand the Eritrean specialists to give me full admittance to exiles and shelter searchers purportedly held in different detainment facilities inside Eritrea.” 

“Eritrea keeps on having no public gathering to embrace laws, including those managing essential rights and the privilege of the Eritrean public to take part unreservedly in the public existence of their country.” 

Reacting to the rapporteur’s update, an Eritrean authority told the gathering that his nation had been dealt with “unjustifiably and treacherously”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here